Monday, December 31, 2007

The fall of King Saul - partial obedience (part 2)

God wants our total obedience to His command, but we know that sometimes it is not easy to obey everything God has commanded us.

"Why does He want me to do it, this is not what I want."

"Why is my prayer not answered?"

"God is not fair to me." etc etc

Before we go further, let us see how the road leading to impatience has made King Saul merge onto the broad highway of disobedience that led to his fall.

God has commended King Saul to wipe out Amalekites in 1 Samuel 15:3 "

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass."

But see what King Saul has done in 1 Samuel 15:8-9

"And he took Agag the king of the Amalekites alive, and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword. But Saul and the people spared Agag, and the best of the sheep, and of the oxen, and of the fatlings, and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them: but every thing that was vile and refuse, that they destroyed utterly."

They demolised everything, except they did not kill the King, they saved the best of the livestock, and they kept a few good things like gold and treasures. They dutifully burned and destroyed the rest of the junk of the land.

That night, God spoke to Samuel in 1 Samuel 15:11

"It repenteth me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandements."

God did not take King Saul's partial obedience lightly, in fact God has take it that what Saul has done was rebellion.

I Samuel 15: 20, Saul defend his action:

"What? rebellion!"

"Isn't it too serious"

"I did obey God's command. Look, I spare the king and the best animals which we want to sacrifice to the Lord."

But what God say... "

...to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of the rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and sutbborneness is as iniquity and idolatry."

Like I said at the beginning, it is not easy to obey everything God has commanded us. I do not understand why He has led me this ways and not that ways.

"Why are my friends doing better than me? Why is he/she has it and I do not have it. I thought I have been an obedience child of God..." The thoughts went on and on...

As I recalled back, there is a purpose in everything He has told us to do. We might not understand then, but God know what we do not know. He is protecting us. He knows that He could easily give us what we want now, but it is not going to do us good later.

The most important thing is not to question "why" "how come", but to know that there is a purpose in everything He wants us to do.

"Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe.

Doing exactly what the Lord commands.

Doing it happily.

Action is the key.

Do it immediately.

Joy you will receive.

Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe.

O.B.E.D.I.E.N.C.E

Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe."

No comments: